June 16th
I went this morning for a long ride with Mrs Gordon Geddes. We went up the drove and away across towards Newfoundland Farm. Dear Downs, how I love them and how I shall miss my rides. All the afternoon I gardened, planting out the last of the bedding plants.

June 20th, Sunday
On this date 11 years ago my dear Father died. It is a loss no time can soften and I cannot bear to think of it. His kindliness and devotion are ever with me and the memory of them is my great treasure. Somewhere surely he lives and knows my thoughts, surely the souls of those we love are with us and when we part on earth it cannot mean a parting of eternity? A terrible thought and I will not believe it.

June 23rd
After a horrible morning of cold rain and wind it cleared for long enough to allow me to go to the station to meet my dear man who returned from Camp. It is so very nice having him again. Although for a few days the result of the shooting is a secret I don’t think it matters my putting it in here! The 137s got 1st, 138s 1st and the 139s 2nd for effect and 1st for discipline. It is a great satisfaction to us all. I say “us” because I am as keen as the rest and being H’s last show I am fearfully glad they have done so well. The rest of the 33rd come back in a week’s time as they are marching and it is a week’s march.

June 24th
A day of rain and cold winds. I don’t remember such a cold June. I have caught a vile cold and am feeling wretched. H being more or less on his own till the Brigade returns worked with me in the garden.

June 26th
CB came in at 6. Poor one he is awfully disappointed at the result of their practice. Not one has got a first and his own Battery two seconds. It is hard luck. I am so thankful that Poggy’s last year should have kept up the record.

June 28th, Monday.
No rain! Poggy and I had a morning of real enjoyment. We started off at 10.30 and rode up to Rolleston Camp to the the Horse Artillery firing. Then in the hollow we found Major White Thomson’s Battery and rode behind them to where they were to fire. We were quite a party of spectators. We then cantered to Knighton Flag Staff where Capt Parsons took on the firing, after which being nearly 1 we left them. It was perfect being up there in the warm sun and no wind, a respite from this month’s perpetual rain.

June 29th,
The 139s came in this morning and I gave Major Gillson a very nasty lunch but it was a delight to see this nice man again. He had much to tell us of the march.

June 30th, Wednesday
Poggy and I went off riding this morning away up to Lark Hill where we watched F Battery shoot. Again it was a glorious day but being misty the light for shooting was bad, and they did not do well. It is very disappointing for them and Major WhiteT is most distressed. The spectators were many, no civilians but a lot from the Camps. After lunch I went to my M.M. where I had a large meeting. I couldn’t give them tea as all the drains are up. To dinner came Major White T, Major Gillson and Capt Birley which gave me much joy . We had a very jolly evening. We only talked after dinner but there seemed so much to say that it all passed too soon and at about 11 they left. There is something quite charming about Major White. I have known him now for 5 years and he has never altered, always the same dear good friend and I feel proud to call him one. Major Gillson too is a dear, so full of dry humour and such fun, how I shall miss them all.