May 10th, Tuesday
The First Day in our new home, Upton Lodge, Upper Hale Farnham.
I sit writing this on my own hearth after a day of toil. Once more we find ourselves settled in our own house and this time with the prospect of 4 years ahead of peace and enjoyment. I am just too happy for words and how heavenly it is to have married a man who is thought worth giving a billet such as this. The drawing room is a sweet room with cream coloured walls and paint into which our dear old mahogany furniture seems to fit exactly. Our chintzes, white with pink roses, cream coloured curtains and chintz borders, the lovely Persian rugs and all the old china and glass make a most sweet and dainty combination. Already I have flowers in and in a large blue bowl I have put sprays of red brown leaves and branches of pink crab apple blossom. The dining room walls are jade green with cream panelling. Two conservatories open out of this making it look gay and light. I shall take photos of it all but they will give very little idea of it. People are beginning to call already only we have not been “at home” until this evening.

May 12th
I had a most glorious surprise this morning, Elliot I hear through Mother wants me to go out and meet him and Mother has sent me the wherewithal to go. I am just too frightfully excited for words and it all seems too perfect. Now I await Ell’s letter of instructions and hope to get it next mail. This morning Mrs Gray called for me, it was nice seeing her again and she motored me over to Guildford to shop. It is a lovely quaint old town and this day on account of the King’s death the Town Hall was draped in black and purple. It is full of old fashioned curiousity shops, funny little old places all left in their original state, red gabled houses and odd pokey side streets. We then went to Aldershot and fetched H and Capt Gray and home for lunch. They have a charming house, quite new built but in the old style and very quaint and old fashioned with every modern convenience.

May 13th, Friday
Left with Baby for Springfield and there we found Ted and Dorrie, and Mabel. The place is looking awfully pretty in its new Spring garb.

May 14th
A sudden heat but a breeze helps to keep us cool otherwise with all our winter clothing we would have felt the change more. I spent the afternoon helping Mabel to pack as she sail for South Africa this day week on her mission.

May 16th, Monday
We returned home today and had a carriage to ourselves all the way. It was awfully hot.

May 17th
The King has been removed to Westminster Hall for the public lying in state. I can imagine the vast crowds and the impressive service and procession from Buckingham Palace. It seemed so odd last Sunday praying for King George V and Queen Mary.

May 19th, Thursday
At 9.20 I went up to Town to attend Mabel’s Dismissal Service and also the Lying in State of our King. On arrival I tubed to Oxford Circus and went to the Kodak Co and bought a camera for Mabel. I then taxied to King and Co with a letter to Ell about meeting at Naples on 1st and on to the S.P.G. Chapel beyond Westminster where I was in good time and met a whole concourse of relatives and friends.. When the service was over 10 of us repaired to Westminster Palace Hotel where we all lunched and then determined with much courage to find the end of the queue for the Lying in State. This we did at the end of Chelsea Bridge. We found ourselves in a strange and mixed company: ladies and gentlemen, Londoners, country folk, working men, factory girls, people old and young and not a few tiny children. Hour after hour we continued our slow and painfully hot tramp being pressed on the way to buy for 1d lemonade, oranges and bananas, chocolate and funeral badges. Every now and then for some reason a space would open and we would pick our skirts and fly running along like a flock of frightened sheep but for the most part our march continued very very slowly. After 3 hours we reached St Stephen’s door of the Hall and mounted a long flight of steps from the top of which we paused a moment to take in the wonderful scene which came into sight below us. The Hall, dimply lit with immense candelabras, was filled with a dust-ladened atmosphere caused by the thousands that passed along and in the centre, railed off, stood the coffin covered with a gold fringed white silk catafalque and guarded by the motionless figures of beefeaters and a Gurka at the head whilst at the sides and end stood the gorgeous body guard. The coffin was surrounded by the most beautiful wreaths and on top lay the crown, garter, orb and sceptre. The whole scene might have been cut out of stone and the silence was oppressive.