November 11th, Friday
Armistice Day. Curiously enough I was at the station at 11.0 when the two minutes silence came just as I was this day last year only this time no one seemed to take much notice so that the time slipped by to my great regret without our knowing anything about it. I think in country districts they ought to sound a warn bell. Well we arrived (in London) all safe and as Mother was out we went over to tea with Mimi and Mary Jones. They have a neat flat and manage all their cooking and housework themselves with just a char 3 days a week.

November 12th
As early as possible in this delightfully leisured household we sallied forth West and first of all went to see the Cenotaph. There was the usual sad procession filing past its base waiting in a patient queue shepherded by the equally patient police. The flower wreaths were innumerable but the cold had killed most of the flowers. Our business done we fought our way by tube home. The crowds were fearful and the heat down there appalling and after lunch we played eight at Bridge.

November 13th, Sunday
Intense cold and I have not stirred from the house all day. I was disappointed as I always look forward to a London church with lovely music and a good sermon but I didn’t feel perky today and the temp is too low to venture. We live in the utmost comfort here – fires, stoves, lamps everywhere, even our bedroom has a gorgeous fire in it and that is a thing I’ve not indulged in for years. We never get up till 8.30 and spend the day doing exactly what we please. We were left entirely at peace all day.

Nov 14th, Monday
A very strenuous day of Xmas shopping. Town seems fuller than ever. Rumour was that women’s skirts were becoming longer but the first three I passed almost showed their knees, it’s really disgusting and at night they wear little above the table as well so that the dress is as you might say from waist to knee.
The Duke (of Bedford) sent a box for Tannhauser tonight so off we went taking Lance Crawley-Boevey. I enjoyed it all as much as ever despite the fact that T was a fat vile object and made omelette soufflés with his banana-like fingers upon his harp.

Nov 16th
A day at home helping Mother to pack and packing ourselves for tomorrow she and Thurie leave as also do we.

Nov 17th, Thursday
An early lunch and then off to Victoria in heaps of times but there were such heaps of people owing to the P.O.Express that there were not seats and another portion had to be tacked on. Then it took so long to get the luggage through that Thurie all but missed the train and in the end all the luggage had to be put into the van so Mum went off without her suitcase or rugs. It was a rotten start and I hope all will go well. Arrived at Hale at 5.30, Skippy meeting us (the Skipwiths were old army friends from before the War).

Nov 18th
It seems so strange to be back here again and so lovely to be once more amongst those with whom we have been through so much, both good and bad. We have been on a regular round of visits today to Mrs Newcome, Mrs Sinott (her husband was the groom), Mrs Amy, the Bacons, Swansboroughs, etc!! Alice brought her baby up to see me and tells me that John Willie our erstwhile stable boy is married and has two children!! The Skippy babies are sweet, and Jim (father) looks better but is far from well yet. They have bought a house near Guildford and he will retire probably in the Spring. I looked across at Upton Lodge and it seemed so odd not to go in. We’ve had good times there and also much anxiety.