May 1st, Saturday
A perfect morning and at about 2.30 we all set forth. Drove first to Wartnaby’s house and then drove back to K to watch a soccer game. A fearful storm broke and flooded the roads so we had rather an erratic drive after this to the Club for a drink and a gossip and home to dress and dine. The new room being finished we had that to dance in as well as the old and as there was a big crowd it was an immense improvement. Bentley had formed a new band: himself, Bertie D’Olier, Rabbit Robbins and a man called Cutler and they played awfully well. We danced till dawn and so to bed.

May 2nd, Sunday
A very late rise, and later still so far as the men were concerned. I think that sex must be very delicate. One late night appears to play havoc with them and they all appear like boiled owls, no sooner having breakfasted than they fall asleep again. I see a sad lack of “the shining morning face”!

May 3rd
Away into Kitale, a few small shoppings and a visit to Mrs Wilkie for books and garden stuff and home.

May 4th
Family got together and dug one long border of the pergola. Very hot work. I was working on another when I saw a huge storm approaching, and over an inch of rain fell. Our trenches are working well and the wash away is not quite so disastrous.

May 5th
As tomorrow sees me on my way to Nairobi to meet Ell I thought it as well to start packing. Much thrilled at the thought of this expedition but find it in my heart to wish the roads were in a little better condition. I am such a coward.

May 6th, Thursday
Wartnaby turned up at 10.30 so after elevenses we set forth. We lunched in Kitale and went out to the farm. To bed early as we have a very early start tomorrow to catch the train at Eldoret.
(In the margin, Wynne notes: “A General Strike has been declared at Home”)

May 7th, Friday
We got up at 4.30 and left at 5.0. It was a grizzly morning, quite dark, slight rain and fog and roads under water. Going bad. We breakfasted at Eldoret at the Hotel and then at 8.15 began my long trek, most monotonous and boring. Lunched, teaed and dined finally at Nakuru and turned in for the night.

May 8th
After quite a comfortable night in the train I arrived at Nairobi at 6.0 to find a dark, cold and rainy morning, utterly vile. Getting into a rickshaw I carted myself and luggage to the New Stanley Hotel and though I got the loan of a room for the morning couldn’t get a decent one until lunch. I bathed and changed and breakfasted and went out at once to get through some of my commissions. Spent a pleasant evening with an old Planter called Clark with whom I had a long and interesting conversation about old days out here, he having come from New Zealand 23 years ago.